Thursday, September 10, 2015

ANTISANA with the Biking Dutchman


So, since I work in tourism, I was invited to do a bike tour of the Antisana with the Biking Dutchman. The Biking Dutchman are a very well respected company that offers various exciting bike tours all around Ecuador.  www.bikingdutchman.com

I was very excited about this tour and felt more than ready since I have been commuting to work on a bike since February 2015 and I do weekend rides to random sites. But alas, some of my friends and family kind of made me rethink if i could actually do this bike ride.

The tour started at the Mariscal area at 7 am. I had to wake up rather early and make my way there. The guides and driver were there on time with their Land Cruisers ready to take us to the Antisana.
*I used to have a red Land Cruiser 1988. Loved that car!!

The ride was short we got to the Antisana reserve pretty quickly and started the tour.

Top of Mica Loma great view of Mica Lake


The first thing we did was circle around MicaLoma which is a small hill next to the Mica Lake. where you can hike up on foot to the top take pictures and take in some amazing Paramo views. The paramo always has this mysticism to it that I love. Ive been visiting the Paramo (mostly Papallacta) with my father ever since i was a toddler. I'm going to look for that picture and post it on here. My father taught me to deal with the Paramo cold and to fish in the ice cold rivers that flow along the mountains.Such a great dad! Next year when my Father comes to visit Ill take him on this tour and have a great time!


It was really cold with strong winds slapping your face.

All geared up for the bike ride !


After this short hike we jumped on the bikes and started to ride. It was pretty high altitude and the first 2 kms. were uphill, incredibly tough but got through it like a champ and then enjoyed the amazing downhills. 

The downhills were awesome, all asphalt and the views and fresh air was incredible. 

The end of the ride:

End of the ride what a view!
Trek bike lent to me. 


And at the end of it all i got to see a Paramo chicken check it out. Oh and some Caracaras and a Paramo mouse. 

Paramo Chicken.. adapted for the cold. 
GREAT TOUR, GREAT RIDE, GREAT EXPERIENCE!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment